European Rugby Champions Cup 2014-15

/ Match Pack

European Champions Cup
Treviso strike late to beat Ospreys
ESPN Staff
January 24, 2015
Report Match details
Date/Time: Jan 24, 2015, 16:15 local, 15:15 GMT
Venue: Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso
Benetton Treviso 23 - 20 Ospreys
Half-time: 16 - 12
Tries: Barbini, Esposito, Penalty
Cons: Hayward
Pens: Hayward 2
Tries: Fussell, King, Walker
Cons: Davies
Pens: Davies
Ospreys' Eli Walker speeds past Leicester's Ben Youngs, Ospreys v Leicester Tigers, Heineken Cup, Liberty Stadium, Swansea, Wales, January 13, 2013
Ospreys' Eli Walker scored a try
© PA Photos
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: European Rugby Champions Cup

Treviso recorded their first win in the Champions Cup for two seasons as they earned a last minute penalty try to down Ospreys in Italy.

Benetton Treviso finally broke their two season duck in the top tier of European Cup rugby as they claimed a last-gasp 23-20 victory over the Ospreys. The Guinness PRO12 leaders were beaten at Stadio Monigo as a last-minute penalty try at the foot of their posts ended in a try which Jayden Hayward converted to steal victory at the death.

The win ended a run of 11 successive European defeats for the Italian side, providing them with a first win since they beat the Ospreys 17-14 in round six of the 2012/13 campaign. Wales Squad member James King, playing in the second row, gave the Ospreys a flying start with a try after seven minutes - which Sam Davies converted - when he galloped through from 20 metres.

But Treviso were 16-12 ahead at the break thanks to two tries of their own. The first came from wing Angelo Esposito and then back row man Marco Barbini crossed just before half-time, while Hayward added two penalties. That allowed the home side to edge their noses in front at the break after Eli Walker had raced clear for a second try for the Ospreys.

In the second half the visitors hit back and went into what looked like being a winning lead at 20-16. Davies kicked a penalty to bring the Welsh side within a point, but fatally missed with another that would have extended their lead. The outside half redeemed himself minutes later when his brilliant break paved the way for full back Richard Fussell to cross in the corner for a 70th-minute try. But once again the young outside half was unable to add the extras and the home side remained within touching distance.

The pressure mounted from Treviso in the closing 10 minutes and scrum half Eduoardo Gori made the break that took them up to the Ospreys line. At the scrum, the power of the home pack told and French referee Mathieu Raynal had no hesitation in signalling a penalty try. Full back Hayward stepped up to fire over the easy conversion and victory was complete for the home side.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Live Scores