On This Day

/ Story

October 9 down the years
Celts lay down impressive markers
England centre Manu Tuilagi looks deep in thought during an England training session, Onewa Domain, Auckland, New Zealand, October 4, 2011
Manu Tuilagi was embarrassed by his Auckland harbour antics in New Zealand © Getty Images

England centre Manu Tuilagi is detained by police after jumping off a ferry in Auckland harbour. The 20-year-old, who was one of England's few positives during a lacklustre World Cup showing, was given a pre-charge warning for disorderly behaviour before being released back to the England team management, who were said to have been "a little bit embarrassed". Meanwhile All Blacks fullback Mils Muliaina becomes only the second New Zealander to reach 100 caps for his country.

Pool rivals Scotland and Ireland beat Zimbabwe and Japan respectively to book their passages to the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals. The Scots powered past Zimbabwe 51-12 at Murrayfield with winger Iwan Tukalo leading the way with a hat-trick of tries. Scott Hastings, Tony Stanger, Derek Turnbull, Doddie Weir and Derek White also touched down during the rout. Ireland's 32-16 victory over Japan at Lansdowne Road was not quite as emphatic with the boot of fly-half Ralph Keyes proving the difference between the two sides. Ian McGeechan's Scotland side went on to reach the semi-finals only to see their dream ended by old rivals England while Ireland's exit at the hands of eventual winners Australia in the quarter-finals was equally agonising.

Josh Kronfeld, who was capped 54 times by the All Blacks, announced that he was retiring from New Zealand rugby and would end his career in the northern hemisphere. Widely regarded as one of the greatest exponents of back-row play during a five-year international career, he made his All Blacks debut against Canada at Eden Park in 1995 and would feature in the side that lost in the Rugby World Cup Final later the same year. Despite that disappointment, the tournament signalled his emergence alongside winger Jonah Lomu and fly-half Andrew Mehrtens as a genuine star of the game. A second Rugby World Cup appearance followed in 1999 and he shared in the agony of another high-profile loss - this time at the hands of France in the semi-finals. He made his final appearance for New Zealand against South Africa in Johannesburg during the 2000 Tri-Nations series opting to head north.

Bath, on their way to a League and Cup double in Jack Rowell's last season as their coach, beat Wasps 19-13 at Sudbury. Ben Clarke and Mike Catt notched tries for the visitors with Jon Callard weighing in with three penalties. The West Country side dominated the early years of English league rugby winning six titles in eight years between 1988 and 1996 and completing the double on an unrivalled four occasions. The club's 1993-94 haul also included success at the Middlesex 7s.

Former Wales scrum-half Danny Evans was roped in to play for Bath against the RAF having originally expected to referee the match. He helped Bath to a 15-5 victory after the club found themselves a couple of players short.

The Tongans' rough play let them down at Rodney Parade where they lost 14-9 to Newport. Head-high tackles resulted in a steady stream of penalties to the home side and lock Fa'aleo Tupi was sent off for punching fullback Jeff Hazzard 12 minutes from time, an incident that provoked a major punch-up in which Tupi was instrumental. He was subsequently banned for the Tongans' penultimate match.

South Africa played their first representative match on Paraguayan soil, winning 84-6 against an Invitation XV in AsunciĆ³n.

© Scrum.com
Live Scores