Aviva Premiership 2015-16

/ Match Pack

Aviva Premiership
Craig Willis inspires Newcastle to key win over Bath
ESPN Staff
January 2, 2016
Report Match details
Date/Time: Jan 2, 2016, 15:00 local, 15:00 GMT
Venue: Kingston Park, Newcastle
Newcastle Falcons 19 - 14 Bath Rugby
Attendance: 7075  Half-time: 13 - 8
Tries: Vickers
Cons: Willis
Pens: Willis 4
Tries: Garvey
Pens: Priestland 3
George McGuigan of Newcastle Falcons is tackled by Nick Auterac and Ross Batty of Bath Rugby during the Aviva Premiership match between Newcastle Falcons and Bath Rugby on January 2, 2016 in Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
George McGuigan of Newcastle Falcons is tackled
© Getty Images
Related Links

A brilliant kicking performance from Craig Willis helped Newcastle Falcons to a key 19-14 win over Bath Rugby at Kingston Park on Saturday.

The Falcons led for much of the match, were pegged back and then came through thanks to Willis, whose last kick of the match secured a their first Aviva Premiership win of the season in front 7,075 spectators at Kingston Park.

Bath opened the scoring with a routine line-out dive after Marcus Watson had no option but to concede the line-out in the corner with Matt Banahan breathing down his neck. Matt Garvey led the line-out drive and skipper Guy Mercer finished it off for a 5-0 lead in the sixth minute.

Willis, who had missed an early penalty for the Falcons, made sure with his 13th-minute effort after Bath came in at the side. Willis, Simon Hammersley and George McGuigan had the crowd on their feet with some gutsy running, Willis especially making a long and weaving run through midfield, but he then missed a 17th-minute penalty for offside.

It was Willis with another penetrating run that had Bath on the back foot, and Juan Pablo Socino slotted a rolling kick to the corner. When Bath conceded a free kick, Ally Hogg took it quickly and Rob Vickers forced his way over in the 21st minute, Willis converting for the Falcons to lead 10-5.

In rapidly worsening conditions, both sides were having difficulty hanging on to the ball but Bath cut their deficit to 10-8 with a 28th-minute Rhys Priestland penalty when Falcons number eight Nili Latu went over the ball. Garvey was caught dragging down the maul and Willis missed another kick at goal he should have made regardless of the conditions.

Newcastle went close to scoring a second try with a massive driving maul and Vickers was at the bottom of it again, but this time the referee and TMO ruled he been brought down just short. However, the referee brought play back for persistent offside which saw prop Henry Thomas sin-binned and Willis kicked the penalty for 13-8, Newcastle's half-time lead.

Latu overstepped again early in the second half and Priestland kicked a 46th-minute penalty with the wind and rain at his back to make 13-11. The Wales international missed a chance to nudge Bath back into the lead shortly afterwards with a penalty that was just wide, before making it 14-13 with a successful attempt in the 58th minute.

Newcastle were clearly under pressure, both at the scrum and kicking into the wind and rain, and they conceded successive scrum penalties on halfway. Priestland kicked the first one dead but found the corner with the second, only for Bath to make a mess of it and concede a penalty for blocking. It seemed Newcastle had snatched another try when Scott Lawson threw a long pass out and Watson kicked ahead for Chris Harris to be held up on the line.

It led to a penalty which Willis kicked to put Newcastle back in front at 16-14 with 10 minutes left on the clock and within sight of a rare win. The victory was made secure when, with 40 seconds on the clock, Bath were caught obstructing as Tom Homer ran it out of defence and Willis kicked the penalty to spark the celebrations.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Live Scores